Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Free Day and Video!








I'm trying to upload a video. I hope you all can see it.

Today was a free day. Nothing official to do. So, we went down to breakfast. Much better than yesterday. I'm not sure if I have mentioned this, but the food here in the hotel is NOT very good compaired to Beijing. The food there was sooooo good. Anyway, I ate toast and jelly with some noodles and a piece of banana bread. Dave had the cook make him an egg and made an egg and bacon sandwich. The bacon tastes a little different, so I just don't go there. After breakfast we went back to the room and talked to the kids. This Skype thing is just so great. It makes us feel so much closer to all of you and makes us being so far away a little easier. If any of you want to see Ava and haven't, just download Skype to your computer (it's free) then under contacts look for us Dave & Stephanie Crivelli or Crivellifam1. You have to have a camera on your computer for it to work.

Around 10:30 we went down to the lobby to wait for some other families because our guide was taking us to the Walking Street (outside mall) She was at the hospital with another family who's baby is sick and needing outpatient antibiotics. They were running late so we didn't leave until almost noon. By that time Jinjue (Chin Chwe) was ready for her nap, but we decided to go anyways. The walk was over a couple of miles, and did I mention I am the only one that can hold her. Needless, to say I thought my arms were going to fall off by the time we got there.

The walking street was like a cleaned up version of Downtown LA (minus the dirt, and homeless) and add high end shops. There were a lot of people with a lot of stares. Not too much at me. I think because I'm brown with brown hair and short with almond eyes, people just overlook me. But boy to they look at the others. They look at Dave because he is tall and big. They were looking at the other family because they are all blonde's with two Chinese children. They would talk to their five year old, I think expecting her to talk back, but she only speaks English. The older people would get right up to your face and stare and say something. All in all they are just really curious and kind. We had a few ask for pictures with us which we happily accepted.

At the end of the mall is a Mc Donald's. We had to try it of course. We had heard all these stories. From putting an egg on the hamburger, to using cheese whiz instead of sliced cheese. All false! Everything tasted exactly like home. The fries were a little better!! Ava acted like she knew the place and went right for the fries. Ok she ate a lg. fry by herself. Our guide said it was impossible for her to know Mc Donald, but let me tell you that girl knew exactly what to do. Our guide, tried to hold Ava and spoke to her in Chinese telling her to give me a rest. But she wouldn't have it and cries if anyone but me or Dave even touch her. Mary, our guide said it was very good for her age and looks like she is really attaching to us. It feels great to hear someone else say it. Once Ava fell asleep on the walk back, Dave was able to hold her and gave my arms a rest. My legs are still sore from the Great Wall, my back and neck are sore from the bed, and my arms are sore from the baby.... I'm a mess too!

Dave and I left the other family at that point and headed back to the hotel. We stopped at the grocery store for more Doritos (Did I tell you they are the best, better than ours) and Pepsi of course. (no diet here, and tastes slightly different)

When we got back to the room, our guide took three of the men for a massage. Ava and I stayed in the room. We put on a Friends DVD and played on the floor. Dave said the massage was awesome and he's going back today. The girls are going to try and go too, but I don't know if I'll be able to since Ava will still only stay with me and cries if I'm not in her sight. I don't want to leave and scare her.

Then we all met and went for dinner. We tried a new place. It was good but yesterdays was better. All the kids love this egg dish. I'm going to have to learn how to make it. It looks and has the same texture as flan (yuck) Ava ate 3 bowls with rice and egg and about 6 or 7 pieces of watermelon. This girl can eat. When she's had enough she just spits it out. She cracks me up. Most of the Chinese children are very disciplined and very particular about being clean. Not Ava... she's a mess! She spits on herself, pees on herself, smashes cookies all over the place. The only thing she wants clean are her hands. She will wipe and wipe them until there is nothing left to clean. That is funny, because when we got her those were the dirtiest hands we had ever seen. It has taken 3 full days to get those hands and nails looking pretty.

All in all she is doing very well. She is still having many many moments of sadness. It's very healthy for her to grieve and we just hold her through it. She is having many more moments of happiness where we get to see a little of her personality. She is just a clown!!



That's Friends playing in the background!

8 comments:

Kate said...

Stephanie,
JinJue is so beautiful. What wonderful pictures. It took over 2 weeks for me to think JinPei was dirt-free. Did you get anything back from the foster parents? I had to toss some of the things we got because they were so dirty. I know the girls were loved and that is most important but I do wonder about where they lived. JinPei is also particular about her hands only... otherwise she is messy and a huge eater. I'm glad things are going well and I hope your arms get some rest soon! Doug was able to get a massage in China too, but none for me; tell your husband he owes you one at home once JinJue is comfortable with mommy-breaks! :) I am so enjoying following along.
Kate

Kate said...

Okay, not that I am blog-stalking or anything but I just came back and this time saw the video. My heart melted. You are blessed! She is more adorable than words can express. Wow!

AMADOR said...

DAVID AND MY QUEEN;
THANKS FOR THE PIC'S AND THE VIDEO.THIS IS WATCHING A LITTLE CHILD ON A GREAT JOURNEY TO AMERICA.STRAIGHT AHEAD..
GOD BLESS YOU ALL.
LUV NINO...
P.S.
I WISH MY DAD AND MOTHER WERE HERE TO WATCH THIS,OR MAYBE THEY ARE WATCHING...

Robin said...

Love the Video! Did you hear her say my name is Ava Robin..that was so cute! Sorry Cathy:( We love ya guys!

PS..TO CATHY
Sorry we didnt take the invite on skype...I thought it was some weirdo wanting to see me in my PJ's LOL...Send it again...I was new to skype and didnt know how it worked:)

Les said...

OMG she has the cutest personality ever. Can I ask what you were saying to her in Chinese that made her respond to you? I just watched that video with my neighbor. We were cracking up watching her try to figure out those stacking cups and when she did it, we cheered so loud I thought I was going to wake Kiley up. OK, so keep it coming, make me even more excited to see her. I just may take over on Christmas so everyone stand back!!!!!JinJue fits right in, we all love to eat and be messy. Maybe she's a tom boy like Kiley! We can start a soccer team so they can get excited after rain to play so they can look like the pros. Anyways, she is an angel. Her and Kara are going to be best friends.

Denise said...

What a beautiful smile!! She is just precious. Thanks for sharing your journey~

(friend of Kate and Nyah)

Mom said...

Hi guys,
We watched the video this morning. The kids loved it!! Kyle said "She is so cute", Kara said "Cute and she's funny", Jimmy was laughing and said, "She is really cute". I think she is adorable and like Lesley I cheered when she got the stacking cups in order. Talk to you later
Mom

Janine said...

Stephe and Dave...The video was great. She is a character. I loved to hear your laugh Stephe. It brought back memories. The boys stood on either side of me and loved watching her play with those cups! Thanks Stephe for sharing. Who ever thought back in our crazy high school days you would go to China one day and adopt an amazing child to give a great life and love so dearly. What a journey!!! Your family is so proud of you and so am I. I always knew why I enjoyed being friends with you because of your gracious heart that you have to give people. I wish you all a safe trip home. I am sure you will have the best Christmas ever!!! Love, Janine