Saturday, December 13, 2008

We Made It

Yesterday Ava had her first airplane ride and she did great. She slept the entire time. Ok that was 1 1/2 hrs, do you think she'll sleep 11 1/2 hrs on the way home? That might be asking too much! All of the babies did great. All of the parents were relieved!

So we made it to Guangzhou! Although I did like my time in Nanchang there just wasn't much to do. The traffic was a nightmare and the hotel food was terrible. The shopping was expensive and the smog was so bad at time you could hardly see the buildings in front of you. The highlight of our days were going to dinner. The dinners were so good. Really spicey! Our guide was good and we all really liked her. Mary did take us to a porcelain shop and we bought Ava some gifts from her home province. Leaving was bittersweat. We were leaving my daughters Province, the only place she had ever been. I am forever grateful to Jiangxi, the Wanzai SWI, and especially her foster parents!

The hotel we are staying at in Guangzhou is on Shiamen Island, along the Pearl River. They speak and eat mostly Cantonise. The hotel is nice and our rooms have a great river view. There is tons of shopping and they all speak English and try so hard to get your business. I bought Ava her first pair of sqeeky shoes and will buy more today. She loves them! We ate at the famous LUCY's (all adoptive parents know of Lucy's) and shopped at the famous Jordan's.

Ava stepped off the plane and became a different baby. The biggest challenge we were having was when we would be in a public place she would let go of my hand and wander off. If I would try to get her to follow me or pick her up, she would throw herself on the floor and throw a fit. Well, last night it seems she finally wants to be with us. She held my hand the entire evening or would put her hands up so I could carry her. That's a huge breakthrough for us! I can tell she was very well taken care of and very very loved by her foster parents! She is just too cute. She is very talkative and likes to sing to herself. She says Mama, Baba, Kyle, Hello, Bye-bye and a lot of Chinese words. We are just so head over heals in love with her and love to wake up every morning to see the daily changes that are taking place in her.

James update...
I saw and spoke to James on the computer this morning. He is doing great. The doctors said they will keep him until Monday just to make sure his kidneys are 100%. His friends are coming to visit him and he is in great spirits. He will have to take it easy and no weight lifting or exercise for a while, but should make a complete recovery.
Kyle and Kara...
I hope your having a great time at the Polar Express. Have fun on the train tonight and don't forget to give Santa your list. Make sure to take a picture on Santa's lap so mommy and daddy can see. Have fun and listen to Nani. We love and miss you guys so much. See you in 4 more days. Can you hear the bell? I can!!!
God Bless You both,
Mommy xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Enjoy the pictures... (I'll post more later, it's breakfast time and you know I can't miss a meal)



8 comments:

AMADOR said...

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE.
GLAD TO HEAR AVA IS COMING ALONG,SHE HAS TWO GREAT PARENTS.JIMMY IS GETTING BETTER THAT'S EXCELLENT.EASY DOES IT,TAKE CARE.AND A FEW DAYS HOME SWEET HOME.
CON AMOR,
NINO

Janine said...

Hi Stephe and Dave

I was shocked to hear about Jimmy. I can't imagine how that feels as a mom to not be able to be there. But you know everything will be fine. Your mom will do the best job caring for him. I was glad to hear that Jim was there for him too! That is great!!! Hope you guys are having fun. Just a couple more days to be home for a beautiful beginning. Love ya girl! Take care and stay well, Janine

Les said...

I can't wait to see you guys on Saturday. I am so glad to hear that Jim is doing better. We have all been praying. Have a safe trip!!!

Robin said...

Hi Dave and Steph
Were back from the North Pole! Kinda funny we have bothe been to the North Pole in the last few weeks! We had a great time. I had you in my heart the whole time:) Your family is great you are very lucky! Your Mom and Uncle Mondo took great care of the kids! It was a great time for our family as well. THe first hing I did when I got home was hit the blogg! I think we all had withdrawls. Sp? Mostly Thor....he kept us updated from his phone when there was an update from you.!

I am counting days till you come home........I cant wait to meet miss Ava.....She deffinitly sounds like a Crivelli....I love it! Brooke is excited to teach her language to her!

armandoarce said...

Hi Steph and Dave. Were back from the cold of the N. Pole. It actually started snowing when we left for the pole and Kile and Kara could'nt wait till the nexy mourning so they could play in the snow. There was plenty of snow in the mourning and after breakfast they with all the other kids in the group had a ball and snowballs to. Robins little girl cried because she did'nt want to stop playing in the snow. Well i'm online again but now i don't have telephone service until the 15th. Tomorrow for me but today for you and Dave. Jimmy is a strong boy and is doing fine. So i inpatiently wait for Thursday and will see you and my new niece then. God Bless and love you both Uncle Mando

Sherrie said...

Hi Stephanie congratulations!!!!! I am a little behind on reading my blogs. Sophie has kept me very busy. Ava is a doll and she looks tiny like Nyah.

There is a really good Italian restaurant on the Island. You walk all the way down past the Victory Hotel and it is on the end. A little bit of a walk. You can go past Lucy's and take a left and go that way as well. We ate there 2 times and several visits to Lucy's.

I wish that I had bought more squeaky shoes!!!! I was so overwhelmed with all the shopping and the constant attention. They are so darn cheap and I wished I had bought some for her to grow into. Oh well, have fun shopping and enjoying your new daughter!!!

Cathy said...

Good Morning!
I woke up this morning and the first thing I thought was....2 more days. Not even 2 whole days! I can't wait to see you in person. Skype is great but the real thing is the best! Just wanted to say hi and I wanted to find out if Ava Marie could say her name yet???? (Sorry Robin.....and by the way...nothing could be worse than me in my pj's) Don't you agree that Ava Marie is a great name???? The battle is on. I think what we should do is whatever name she speaks first wins! This means alot of driving for me but I am willing for my namesake! What do you think Robin?
Love you guys and have safe travels. We will see you soon!!!
Cathy

Casey said...

Congratulations! You seem like such a sweet, happy family.

Casey